January 23, 2011

Pecan Pie - How to win friends and influence people

In the 1937 book of this title by Dale Carnegie, many tips on how to get along with people were suggested, among them: "Remember that a person's name is, to him or her, the sweetest and most important sound in any language." Not bad advice, even today! For more tips for the socially challenged, or simply those who think that the Dutch directness might not be working for them - check out the summary on Wikipedia:  Tips from: How_to_Win_Friends_and_Influence_People 


Yesterday, however, I discovered an even better way -    Pecan pie!
I was invited to my friend Margreet's party, and although I know many of her friends, I was surprised to see lots of unfamiliar faces. Luckily I had baked not one, but two of my famous Pecan pies. Within minutes, the pies were gobbled up, and a number of people I didn't even know came up to me, thanking me for the great pie, and asking for the recipe. Since it's pretty easy to make - I thought I'd share the recipe here - and who knows, it might be a good way for you too to make some new friends!


Pecan pie:
(Can make 2 small pies - One to take to your networking event and one to keep for yourself!)
What you'll need:
2 ready made shortbread crusts (about 9 inch) -
       in Amstelveen can be found in King's Almarkt.

1/3 cup butter, melted
3 eggs
1 cup packed light brown sugar - here they call it brown "Bastard Sugar" (don't ask me why!)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (could use vanilla sugar too - the more sugar the better!)
1 cup light corn syrup - (I used Golden syrup from Kings Almarkt...
       could also use "Bungle" pancake syrup but not the strong molasses/known
       here as 'stroop'  - that won't be sweet enough...

200 grams roasted salted pecans (don't ask me why the salted is best - but when you're
       snacking as you cook, they taste great - so get 250 grams and put 200 into the pie!)



What you do:
a. 
Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
b. In a medium bowl, mix melted butter, eggs, brown sugar, salt and vanilla. Beat with wire whip or a mixer until smooth.
c. Stir in corn syrup until it is blended with a big spoon, making as little foam as possible.
d. Fold in pecans.
e. Pour into unbaked pie shell. 

f. Bake about 35 minutes until filling is set. (If it's still runny when you test it - add another 5 minutes or so).
Cool slightly.   For a really hedonistic experience, eat with vanilla ice cream - but believe me - it's good enough as it is!
                                                           Enjoy!
PS. Don't forget your business cards - so when they ask for the recipe, you can hand them your card and tell them to get in touch! :)



2 comments:

  1. I have tears of laughter streaming down my face...I totally lost it when I got to the part about the salted peacans. Lol. That's my sister for you. You're definately one of a kind.
    And thanks for the recipe - it's Y's favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to describe the taste of this pie to my colleagues today. All I could remember is tasting it and being in a funny state of denial: this can't possibly taste this GOOD! Oh my word love it! Em em Emmmmmmmmmmmmm Yummmmy! Regretted not taking a piece! Have shared your blog around too!

    ReplyDelete