November 6, 2011

Eid-al adah

Today is Eid – al Adah and I am far away from my family. In the Muslim world this day is very important. All families gather together and celebrate this especial day. Besides rich should slaughter sheep, cows etc… and distribute the meat among the poor people. The question is why Muslims do this and what does Eid al- Adha commemorate? During the Hajj, Muslims remember and commemorate the trials and triumphs of the Prophet Abraham The Qur'an describes Abraham as follows: "Surely Abraham was an example, obedient to Allah, by nature upright, and he was not of the polytheists. He was grateful for our bounties. We chose him and guided him unto a right path. We gave him good in this world, and in the next he will most surely be among the righteous." (Qur'an 16:120-121)

One of Abraham's main trials was to face the command of Allah to kill his only son. Upon hearing this command, he prepared to submit to Allah's will. When he was all prepared to do it, Allah revealed to him that his "sacrifice" had already been fulfilled. He had shown that his love for his Lord superceded all others that he would lay down his own life or the lives of those dear to him in order to submit to God. Why do Muslims sacrifice an animal on this day? During the celebration of Eid al-Adha, Muslims commemorate and remember Abraham's trials, by themselves slaughtering an animal such as a sheep, camel, or goat.

Today is such a special day and I am sitting in front of the computer and doing all my assignments for school while I know that the rest of my family just enjoying welcoming each others and celebrating the Eid together.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this story about Eid al Adha. I'm familiar with the story but not about it's connection to this festival! So, I learned something new! In addition, I feel very connected to your story - of having to go through a holiday all alone - without my family. My family is in Israel and almost all the holidays are during the school year - at times that are very inconvenient to suddenly leave. So, I too often find myself reminded just by friends' emails or posts on FAcebook that they are sitting down to a festive dinner while I'm hard at work grading papers... quite sad, really...

    ReplyDelete