December 13, 2011

Brainless

Exams have only just started and already my brain is turning to mush... Maybe it's the harsh lighting, maybe the endless staring at a computer screen/ book/ handout/ mock exam. Sometimes the grey mass that is supposed to be working up there just will get in to gear.
I'm sitting here hoping for some sudden blast of understanding but not getting anyting as such.
Fortunately I have noticed, over the years, that the act of writing down information over and over again does make some of it stick! However, come tomorrow morning my hand will be so sore that writing will seem like an impossible task. Also, I now have 1 pen left in the house and I bet it be empty by tomorrow. Just my luck ;)

I once saw an episode of Dexter's Lab where Dexter fell asleep with a Learning French tape on and when he woke up he knew perfect French. Unfortunately, the tape had gotten stuck so all he could say was 'cheese omelette' which is a little unfortunate. Anyway, I would still go for that method if it worked, letting the information enter my brain whilst catching up on some much-needed sleep.

For now I'm sticking with the writing things down option, as a written summary works better than me than a typed one. I would definitely recommend this to others! And if you have any tips for me? Let me know!

1 comment:

  1. Best tip I have learned is 'get to sleep on time after you finish studying'. It's even in a reading comprehension text in the IELTS book (so it MUST be true). But really - apparently - getting those 8 hours of solid sleep after studying is what helps glue the material you learned into your brain!
    So - good night already! :)

    ReplyDelete