May 14, 2013

Absence makes the heart grow fonder

After I arrived I had the weekend to settle down before the introduction and the classes started. My jetlag took a long time to be over, partly, maybe not partly but mostly my own fault, because I spend my nights chatting with my fiancĂ©. With the 7 hours time difference it is not easy to talk without keeping one or the other out of their sleep. This resulted in me being awake until about 3-4 in the morning, waking up at 6.30 for morning prayer. Sleep again until I had to get ready for class. After class take a nap and then go out for dinner with friends, to finally end up in the dorm chatting again till early in the morning. By keeping daily contact we managed to “survive” 5 months without each other. After some weeks he booked his flight to Malaysia, so the prospects of us spending 2 months of holiday together in Malaysia was something to look forward to and made the time we had to miss each other easier to handle. That way I wasn’t held back by feeling miserable and I could do what I wanted to do during my exchange and still had the feeling that I had my loved one to share with. Absence makes the heart grow fonder they say. Our bond was growing stronger even though we had to cope with the long distance, we decided to plan our wedding in the summer, at my fathers house at Tioman Island. (yes, Google it).

Well, I guess I underestimated planning a wedding in a foreign country. 500 km from the actual wedding location, and on my own. But fortunately I had some great friends who helped me out. Hani and Ireena from my Islamic thinking class helped me with creating the invitations, buying fabrics for my wedding dress, bringing me to a tailor who could make the dress I designed. But most important they supported me mentally when I got stressed.


This is one side of our wedding invitation.



I sent invitations to our family in the Netherlands, knowing most of them would not be able to make it made me quite sad. Especially because my brother, his pregnant girlfriend and my sister-in-law-to-be with her family would not be able to be there.
Thankfully my Mother, the 3 younger brothers of my fiancé, his mother and one of my best friends have booked tickets to come over to be there. The date was set on 07-07-2012. I had less then 4 months to arrange everything.

But in the end.. nothing goes as planned.. to be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment