August 30, 2015

Sleep - an Antidote

Today is Sunday, I tell myself. Sunday, Sunday, Sunday. For some people, it's a day of rest. For me, it was supposed to be a day of action. And it was. Until I fell asleep at 2:30 in the afternoon for a 'short nap' lasting over 2 hours!

True, I worked out this morning. And met up with a good friend at the gym. Ate healthy food. Some people would say I spent the morning well and productively.

But some people would not be teachers. Because the truth about teachers (except for the sad truth that not all teachers are loved by their students) is that 'there is no rest for the weary' and Sunday is certainly NOT a day of rest. It's a day to prepare!

I have a pile of 'things to do' that fill my invisible to do list (yes, I know, I tell my students to 'write it down, so that it doesn't stay in your head and add to the pressure). I have a busy day tomorrow, including a 'Welcome to the new year drinks session' at school and it's important to be there, to be seen, perhaps it's a way of saying, "by the way, in case you haven't noticed, the school year has begun."

More importantly, I have 4 new classes of over 30 students who are going to meet me for the first time next week, and I have to be prepared, as do they.

And their being prepared depends on me sending them the #*#*&$(#(*&@ information on where they can find everything and what they should do for week one. In short, a domino effect relying on me. Which put me under a tiny itsy bitsy bit of pressure and since I have told myself repeatedly in the past few weeks of vacation - "Keep this feeling of relaxation! Do not fall into stress!" - it seems that I may have reacted by falling asleep.

Hence - sleep - the antidote to stress.

I'm awake now, it's not yet six in the afternoon. I will work efficiently and smoothly and get my stuff done. And I will not blame myself for taking a 'break' - nope - because of the sign above - that negative committee in my head can just agree that sleep was my well deserved medicine for today.


No comments:

Post a Comment