April 4, 2016

Appreciation #1: Wildschut Cafe Amsterdam

Better get better!
A few days ago, I asked some friends on my Facebook page, how I could possibly enhance the customer service experience at restaurants in Amsterdam and Amstelveen. 

I had been all set to start blogging nasty, shameful things about the crappy service, (yes, that's correct, crappy is a 'nice' word compared to some of the service I have received),  I have had the joy to experience here in the country I now call home.

Be constructive, they said...
But the responses of my friends were, on the whole, oh so kind, and positive that I reconsidered, and decided, instead, to write about the places I appreciate. (I guess you now know what kind of friends I have!) While a little disappointed, I had to admit that I too, am actually a strong advocate of positive psychology, and while I love to improve things when I can, I hate seeing myself as a 'complainer.' 


So, here goes!
Yesterday we ate a quick dinner at Cafe Wildschut, located a 6 min bike ride from the place I'll be hanging out a lot at for the next 3 months, Boekhandel van Rossum. (teaser alert!)

"You left a tip?" my husband asked, with slightly raised eyebrows.
"Sure," I answered, "and not only that, I thanked our waiter."
"What'd he do?" hubby asked, which was actually a good question, since we hardly even saw him during our meal.
"Aha," I said. "Sometimes it's not about what you do, but what you don't do. He didn't piss me off. He must have worked hard, since you yourself mentioned that this place was packed up until sunset, half an hour ago, but he showed up at our table with a smile, minutes after we arrived, to take our orders."

What else was good:
Wildschut had the beer we wanted to order, which shows excellent inventory management at this restaurant, (not to mention an eye for the latest beer trends; IPA Brand, in case you're wondering), and when we asked to share a salad, we didn't get a dirty look. Without even asking, he brought us an extra plate, too.

Could still be a little better:
The truth is, the waiter hadn't been perfect; he'd hidden his yawn not so well, while taking our order, and again while giving me the bill, which I had to get up to go and ask for. So, he himself was a little surprised that I tipped him. Still, I told him that he'd brought the food quickly, and it was tasty, and that he was friendly and kind. His smile showed me that my comments were appreciated. 

Yes, it's possible that some days I'm more forgiving than others when it comes to the service I am willing to put up with, but I'm willing to give this positive feedback thing a go. After all, it's working wonders with my students, so who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment